- Before Confession examine your conscience. Recall your sins. Ask yourself what you have done with full knowledge and consent against God’s commandments.
- 1) In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
- 2) Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been ____(say the elapsed time) since my last confession. These are my sins.
- Tell the priest your sins. Remember, it is important to confess all serious sins. Reconciliation means that we’re ready to let go of all sins. It’s the ones we hold back that sometimes make things more difficult for us. So, no matter how difficult it seems, mention them all.
- 3) After the priest gives you penance to do to make satisfaction for sin and to amend your life, he will ask you to say an Act of Contrition. You may pray the Act of Contrition learned as a child.
Act of Contrition:
My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, suffered and died for us. In His name, my God, have mercy
Spontaneous prayer is fine.. like: God, I’m sorry for my sins. Give me the strength I’ll need to leave them behind and live a new kind of life.
- 4)Listen while the priest gives you absolution.
God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, (make the sign of the cross) and of the Holy Spirit.
You Respond: Amen.
- 5)After confession:
Do the penance the priest gave you. Thank God for forgiving you again