Notre Dame Youth Ministry Office
1 Aberdeen Rd. (corner of New Hyde Park Rd.) 516-326-3401
Notre Dame Youth Ministry on Facebook – contact Theresa at
The purpose of our parish Youth Ministry program is to reach out to our High School age teenagers as well as to our Middle School teens who are in the Confirmation program. The three goals of our ministry “with, to, for and by youth” is to:
- “Empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.” This means that our job is to enable our young by imparting to them knowledge and faith experiences that will convince them that they can make a difference in our world. Living as disciples means that lives are formed in the radical way of love that Jesus taught. This requires a good deal of confidence and courage. Pope John Paul II once remarked: “the young hunger for a chance to participate in a worthy adventure.” We agree.
- “Draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the Catholic faith community.” The life, mission and work of the faith community are played out on the stage of the home, the parish, the school and other organizations serving the young. Young people have to see that their efforts address the real needs of people. Once inspired to meaningful actions of service, our teens are a juggernaut of enthusiasm and good will.
- “Foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.” It is critical that the young have their spiritual needs addressed within the context of their lives and no in some abstract way. Therefore, we seek to inspire the young to develop a spirituality that addresses the uncertainty of life. Expecting emotional and spiritual acceptance of a purely intellectual explanation of Catholicism is not realistic for anyone
The three goals of Youth Ministry are prescribed by the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops. Hopefully, providing the interpretation of these goals from the text, Renewing the Vision, we recognize that this is accomplished in the context of a caring community.
Youth Ministry creates diverse opportunities for high school teens. All are welcomed at any of the events or gatherings at any time of the school year. There is NO FORMAL JOINING other than for those who seek Youth Leadership roles. Feel free to call us at any time to discuss any of our programs.” Theresa -Coordinator, 516-326-3401
- Teen Mass -Sundays 5:30pm in church – Both Jr. High and High School teens can participate in the mass as Lector, Usher, Singer or Musician. ( Training session available for new Lectors)
- Teen Choir– This Music Ministry run by Shannon McNulty serves the 5:30 Youth Mass on Sunday. Meets at 4:30 pm in the church for practice.
No auditions are necessary. Contact Theresa at 516-326-3401
- Witnessing-In May one or two graduating High School seniors will speak at the 5:30 Youth Mass regarding their experience of spiritual growth during their time with Youth Ministry
- Retreats & Special Events– “Up-All-Night” and a Spring Weekend Retreat at Camp DeWolfe, “March For Life”- Over Night in Washington DC and National Conference. This ministry also facilitates Notre Dame School Confirmation Retreat with Youth Leaders
FUN & FRIENDSHIP
- Community Nights– Junior High (7th & 8th graders) meet 6:30-8:00pm
High School (9th-12th graders) meets 6:30-8:30 pm. Gatherings are in the School Auditorium and Teen Loft. Both programs are both fun and faith based
- Icebreakers, games, canteen snacks & pizza can be purchased
- Discussions- facilitated by Teens & Young adults continue the lessons of the Gospel readings as they relate to the challenges of daily life
- All in the Family Nights (Parents & Siblings invited)
- Teen Talent Night, Parties
- Diocesan Youth Events throughout the year, including Fall Kick off, Roller Skating party, Cruise to Nowhere
- Opportunities-Youth Ministry seeks to encourage the understanding of Justice and the reasons for Service by offering opportunities for teens to participate in service projects throughout the school year. Sign-ups will be presented at Community Nights or advertised in the bulletin (see the Youth Ministry Column)
- High School Teens are able to participate in “Mid Night Runs” and “Teens in Action” Summer Mission Trip
- Leadership- Servant Leadership Training and Commissioning for the Notre Dame community available for sophomores through seniors in high school
- Parent Support Team-Parents are requested to be engaged in the Youth Ministry community as Jr. High and High School Chaperones on Sunday nights and occasional special events. Your involvement, even if just to sell pizza and snacks at a Community Night is important and appreciated!
*Please note: The 8th grade teens that are involved in the Notre Dame Religious Ed Confirmation Program will be asked to participate in community service. Any questions about Confirmation Service Projects should be directed to the Religious Ed Office at 516-437-5604
…We too, in the church are constantly called to listen, to get involved and be neighbors, sharing in people’s joys and struggles, so that the Gospel can spread even more consistently and fruitfully, radiating goodness through the transparency of our lives.
– Pope Francis at World Youth Day Poland 2016