Help secure Foundation support for Catholic Charities
Cardinal Dolan and the NYS Bishops have created a $3.2 billion Foundation using the proceeds from the recent sale of the Church’s Fidelis health plan. That transaction has approval from the NYS departments of Health and Financial Services, but is awaiting approval from the state Attorney General. This Foundation is expected to provide grants in support of Catholic Charities ministries, so we are inviting the Parish community to weigh in in support of this.
Bishop Barres has asked all of us to submit a “letter of support” in advance of the MAY 23rd DEADLINE. For your convenience, we have inserted below the message you can send to the Attorney General’s Office. Please cut and past the message into your email and send electronically, as noted below. If possible, please use your personal e-mail for this communication. Here are some further instructions regarding this action and the message is below that.
- Comments to the Petition must be received on or before May 23, 2018.
- Interested parties may file a comment by ELECTRONIC MAIL ONLY to the following email address: Fidelis.Transaction@ag.ny.gov
- Subject line of the email should read: ‘‘In the Matter of Fidelis’’
- The comment—including name and contact information—will be placed in the public record of this proceeding, including, if determined by the OAG, provided to the parties to the proposed transaction, other governmental agencies and the public, including on the public website of the OAG.
- The OAG will automatically send the following form receipt to your comment: “Thank you for your comment on the Petition of the New York State Catholic Health Plan, Inc. We write to acknowledge receipt only and will contact you if we have any questions. Follow up questions to this email or other means will not receive a second receipt.”
Email to Attorney General Underwood: Fidelis.Transaction@ag.ny.gov
Subject: “In the Matter of Fidelis”
The Honorable Barbara Underwood, Acting Attorney General of the State of NY:
I am writing to express my support of the Mother Cabrini Health Foundation, established to assist low income and vulnerable New Yorkers, following the sale of the assets of Fidelis Care to Centene.
In our community, there are so many Long Islanders in need. The lack of affordable housing, the opioid epidemic, the aging demographics, pronounced gaps in mental health services, and the high numbers of those who struggle to make ends meet are among the challenges we face. The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation would enable local organizations like Catholic Charities to address these needs in a meaningful way and to give our most vulnerable neighbors the assistance they deserve.
Upon finalization of approval by the Attorney General’s Office, the groundbreaking Mother Cabrini Health Foundation will transform the lives of New York’s poor, neediest and most vulnerable. These are precious dollars that will help to make Long Island a healthier and more equitable place to live.
I urge you to approve the Foundation and make possible its many good works.
Your Email Address